Subject: Re: [PATCH 2 6/7] Uartlite: Add of-platform-bus binding

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:24:16 +1000

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:18 -0600, Grant Likely wrote:

> For many drivers, I think that is already the case.  USB OHCI is a
> prime example where there are both PCI and platform_bus bindings among
> others.  It seems to me that the bus binding effectively translates
> down to "where do I go to get the needed information".  I think it
> results in less of a maintenance burden to explicitly separate bus
> binding from device setup as opposed to adding constructor code.

I think nobody consider the mess that is USB in that are to be something
we want to reproduce.

> > The important thing however, with the constructor approach is to try as
> > much as possible to keep the proper tree structure, and thus, try to
> > find a way to instanciate the devices with proper parent/child
> > relationship so that ordering for things like suspend/resume operations
> > is maintained.
> 
> I'm not sure I follow.  Example?

Well, make sure that if 2 platform devices repreesnt respectively a bus
and a device on that bus, they properly get instanciated as parent &
child in sysfs as well.

Ben.