Subject: Re: [patch 4/4] RFC: PCI: consolidate several pcibios_enable_resources() implementations

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:33:50 +1100

> Index: work6/drivers/pci/Makefile
> ===================================================================
> --- work6.orig/drivers/pci/Makefile	2008-02-18 21:16:36.000000000 -0700
> +++ work6/drivers/pci/Makefile	2008-02-18 21:16:38.000000000 -0700
> @@ -2,7 +2,7 @@
>  # Makefile for the PCI bus specific drivers.
>  #
>  
> -obj-y		+= access.o bus.o probe.o remove.o pci.o quirks.o \
> +obj-y		+= access.o bios.o bus.o probe.o remove.o pci.o quirks.o \
>  			pci-driver.o search.o pci-sysfs.o rom.o setup-res.o
>  obj-$(CONFIG_PROC_FS) += proc.o
>  
> Index: work6/drivers/pci/bios.c
> ===================================================================
> --- /dev/null	1970-01-01 00:00:00.000000000 +0000
> +++ work6/drivers/pci/bios.c	2008-02-18 21:16:38.000000000 -070
                        ^^^^^^

Yuck :-)

Please, don't call this bios ... whatever is in this file really has
nothing to do with a "BIOS" in any shape or form :-) I know we used to
call those things pcibios_* but that's really historical...

If you want to make clear it's for "utilities" that can be overriden
by the arch, maybe call it utils.c, or just stick the function in
pci.c, or setup-res.c

Ben.