Subject: Re: [PATCH] [POWERPC] Add AMCC Glacier 460GT eval board dts

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:00:31 +1100

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 17:15 +0100, Stefan Roese wrote:
> +               cpu@0 {
> +                       device_type = "cpu";
> +                       model = "PowerPC,460GT";
> +                       reg = <0>;
> 

I wonder if we should do something here to differenciate the SoC chip
from the core. After all, all those 4xx mostly have the same core (there
are 2 or 3 revisions of the core maybe ...) but they tend to have all
different PVR which is a pain and won't scale...

Maybe AMCC could do something in HW (splitting the PVR from whatever
indicates what "chip" it is, and keeping the PVR purely for the core
rev) but I'm wondering if we should also do something in the DTS..
Stefan can you talk to your AMCC contacts about this ?

As for the DTS, maybe a "compatible" property in the CPU might make some
sense with a content along the lines of "ppc440x6" or whatever rev of
the 440 core it is.

What do you think ?

Cheers,
Ben.