Subject: Re: [EFIKA] Really, don't pretend to be CHRP

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:24:08 +1000

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 16:17 +0100, Matt Sealey wrote:
> 
> I said the kernel has had braindead patches shoved into it that sort
> of
> obviate the need for the most heinous of crimes committed in the Efika
> device tree.
> 
> The Linux kernel fixups don't add the CDM or XLB arbiter or many other
> components some out-of-mainline drivers will need (and should be able
> to just access without writing a fixup first) to map to work properly.
> Adding these will clean up things like the UART module, Sylvain's
> sleep
> patches will work on Efika, etc.

What about you guys fix the firmware once for all instead of spamming
our mailboxes ?

> > can't set environment variables from within Linux (and yes, we can
> > probably improve on that too, but we let them setenv for themselves,
> for
> > now).
> 
> You really won't be improving on it because there's no reliable way to
> pass setenv back to the firmware from userland :D

They aren't in nvram ? If they are and using the standard OF CHRP
format, then we can.

Ben.