Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] Change the default link address for pSeries zImage kernels.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:57:26 +1000

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:30 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 06:13:23PM +1000, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > Currently we set the start of the .text section to be 4Mb for pSeries.
> > In situations where the zImage is > 8Mb we'll fail to boot (due to
> > overlapping with OF).  Move .text in a zImage from 4MB to 64MB (well past OF).
> > 
> > We still will not be able to load large zImage unless we also move OF,
> > to that end, add a note to the zImage ELF to move OF to 32Mb.  If this
> > is the very first kernel booted then we'll need to moev OF manually by
> > setting real-base.
> 
> Does this change also affect kernels for SLOF based systems (JS20, JS21,
> Bimini/Powerstation, QS21, QS22)?

Yes, they use the same zImage.

> To avoid exactly that problem SLOF moved to a bit below 256MB on all
> those platforms (about 220MB). There should be still enough space
> between 64MB and 220MB to boot large kernels. It is, however, decreased
> by 60MB.

That should leave plenty of space...

Cheers,
Ben.