Subject: RE: [PATCH] powerpc/bootwrapper: Add documentation of boot wrapper targets

From: Josh Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:07:18 -0400

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 09:48 -0700, Stephen Neuendorffer wrote:
> My unanswered questions:
> 
> 1) Why are there 4 different types of targets that embed a device tree?
> I assume they differ in how they are started loaded, but (unfortunately)
> the names are meaningless (With the exception of cuImage, which is only
> cryptic.. :)  If I'm adding support for a new board, which should I use?

They are all needed to deal with different firmwares.

treeImage is for OpenBIOS based boards (Ebony, Walnut, some boards
running PIBS can also use this).  This firmware requires a special
header on the image file.

cuImage is for boards running an older U-Boot that does not understand
device trees.

uImage is for device-tree aware U-Boot versions

dtbImage is used for boards that can take an ELF zImage, but still need
a dtb provided.

simpleImage, not sure here.

josh