Subject: Re: Updates to powerpc.git

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:32:06 +1000

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 09:18 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> 
> If you want to use your master branch as a place for experimental
> stuff, that's fine by me.  But you'll want to keep next separate from
> it so it's as "clean" as possible for those trying to track what is
> definitely going into the next release.

Yes. The idea is that "next" stays clean.

> If it were up to me (which it's not), I would have master just track
> Linus, next track what's going into the next release, and "bleeding"
> or "experimental" track stuff that isn't fully vetted yet.  I might
> start doing that with my tree in the very near future.

Why keeping a branch to track linus in my public tree ? I have plenty of
these locally :-)

> Also, Paul is pretty good about not rebasing his branches when at all
> possible, and I suspect that's why his master and next were often the
> same.  It makes life lots easier for the sub-maintainers and anyone
> trying to track against the tree.  I humbly beg you to keep that
> going.

Yes. I intend to stay on that line, but as I'm new to the job, mistake
are more likely to happen.

Cheers,
Ben.