Subject: Re: mISDN still breaking the allmodconfig build...

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:50:53 +1000

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 03:03 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> 
> > More fallout from the premature mISDN driver merge:
> >
> > drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/hfcmulti.c:5255:2: error: #error "not  
> > running on big endian machines now"
> 
> is that only the HFC driver or the whole mISDN stack?
> 
> I know that the two old ISDN stacks where really bad on big endian,  
> but my assumption was that we did sort this out in the end.

Well, I got it working well enough (the old one) on a ppc405 about 5 or
6 years ago... It did require some endian & dma mapping fixing, iirc, in
the hisax pci driver, but nothing very tricky.

What bugs me is that we -fixed- at least some of these things in the old
stack, up to the point where I could use it reliably in some commercial
products, and now we are merging a new stack which, in that area, is a
clear regression over the old code.

One basic premise to me for replacing a whole stack with a new one is
that the new one should be -at-least- as good as the old one in all
areas, and those (virt_to_bus and endianness) are pretty major.

Ben.