Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc/lpar - defer prefered console setup

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:34:51 +1000

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 20:56 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi

Hi Bastian,

> The powerpc lpar code adds a prefered console at a very early state,
> during arch_setup. This runs even before the console setup from the
> command line and takes preference.

It runs before the command line parsing, and so /does not/ take
preference. I thought.

/**
 * add_preferred_console - add a device to the list of preferred consoles.
 ...
 * The last preferred console added will be used for kernel messages
 * and stdin/out/err for init. 

The last console will be added by the console= parsing, and so that will
be used. The console we add in the pseries setup is only used if nothing
is specified on the command line.

cheers

-- 
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person