Subject: Re: ide pmac breakage

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:09:19 +1000

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 02:48 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> There seems to be some confusion between warm-plugging of IDE devices
> and hot-plugging of IDE devices.
> 
> > not a single piece of HW to exercise those code path ? I don't ask you
> > to get a powermac with a media-bay, but ide_cs seems to be a pretty
> > important one that's part of what the ide maintainer should take care
> > of... And I suspect it's going to exercise the same code path as
> > mediabay.
> 
> I'm open for offers of co-maintaince of the code (which includes taking
> over particular host drivers) and since you seem to have pretty good
> insight into what ide maintainer should be doing I presume that you want
> to be added to MAINTAINERS?

Should I laugh ?

Seriously here. Those things used to work, you broke them.

It may be worthwile cleanup / improvements, but at the end of the day,
if you are the maintainer for drivers/ide, and things as fundamental as
supporting proper ide_cs seems to be totally part of your job. I'm not
saying ide_cs is broken today (though I suspect it -may- be suffering
from similar breakage to media-bay), however, I'm reacting to your
apparent lack of interest in making sure these things work.

Ben.