Subject: 2.6.25: include/asm-ppc vs. include/asm-powerpc

From: Paul Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:07:44 -0400

I know that arch/ppc is obsolete in 2.6.26 and deprecated for earlier
releases.  However, I have a port to a custom PPC-based board that was
originally done for 2.6.14 in arch/ppc, and I've ported it to our
current "standard" kernel of 26.25 and it works (anyway it boots etc.)
I absolutely do not have time now, and not for a few months, to convert
over to live in arch/powerpc (BTW, if anyone has any pointers to docs on
ways to make that transition I'm very interested).

My problem is this: I'm having trouble building some of our externel
kernel modules because they can't find various kernel header files.
Looking at the kernel's include directory I see that include/asm is
symlinked to include/asm-ppc which is what I would expect for ARCH=ppc,
and the same way it used to work in 2.6.14.

However, looking in the include/asm-ppc directory I see that many of the
files that used to be there are not there anymore... although they do
appear in include/asm-powerpc.  In particular I'm interested in
ppc_asm.h which used to exist in both asm-ppc64 AND in asm-ppc, but now
only exists in asm-powerpc.  What's the approved way to include this
header if asm points to asm-ppc?

In general it seems like lots of headers that used to be in both asm
directories now appear in only asm-powerpc; I don't really see how this
is supposed to work.  Any tips on this would be most welcome.

Thanks!