Subject: Re: MPC5200 PCI interrupt routing

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:41:22 +1000

> I hadn't really wanted to go down this route because the calculation of
> the clock, or the decision to use an external clock or calculate an
> internal clock is very board specific.  I'll need to take another look
> to decide if it is reasonable to encode it into the device tree.

Could be done using the feature call mechanism that I have for
powermac... though using a proper clock framework might be better in the
long run.

> > I tend to thing that drivers should deal with their own clocks. In fact
> > it would be nice if one could stop the clocks while the host port is in
> > suspend no ?
> 
> Yeah, but in this case the clock can't actually be turned off.  It's
> just a select bit between internal or external clock and a calculation
> value on the divider.  Since it's a one-time board level setup
> config in a big block of shared chip level registers I'd rather just
> leave it in the domain of firmware.

Ah ok, makes more sense to keep it there then, or in platform init.

Ben.