Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] Block device for the ISS simulator

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:29:40 +1000

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 04:35 -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:08:42AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > The ISS simulator is a simple powerpc simulator used among other things
> > for hardware bringup. It implements a simple memory mapped block device
> > interface.
> > 
> > This is a simple block driver that attaches to it. Note that the choice
> > of a major device number is fishy, though because it's a simulator and
> > not real hardware, it's not necessarily a big deal.
> 
> Please don't put in more block devices for every bloody simulator in the
> world.  Just emulated some simpler enough existing hardware.

I'm not sure I want it merged, but having it on the list "for the
record" is useful and it might be useful to get comments in case it's
terminally busted :-)

I'm trying to get ISS to implement an IDE interface in fact.

Cheers,
Ben.