Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: remove default=y from PMAC and CHRP Kconfigs

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:01:37 +1100

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 20:22 -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> > Historically they have been the most important 32-bit platforms, along
> > with PReP.
> >
> > The problem with making all platforms default to N is that if you take
> > the default values for all config options you end up with a config
> > that won't build.  So we want at least one platform to default to Y,
> > and pmac has been as good a choice as any for that (and probably still
> > is).
> 
> I've got no issue w/grandfathering CHRP or PMAC as default Y.  However  
> I DO NOT think we should default other platforms to 'Y' as that means  
> updating configs will pick up platforms they dont want.

Ok. So Timur, please send a new patch on top of your previous one since
I already merged it, that explicitely sets PMAC and CHRP to "n" in your
defconfigs.

Ben.