Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] pata_platform: add 8 bit data io support

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:21:27 +1100

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 02:00 +0800, Wang Jian wrote:
> To avoid adding another rare used ata_port member, new bit is added to
> ata_port->flags.
> 
> Originally, I hacked pata_platform to make it 8bit only to support 8bit
> data wired CF card. This patch is more generic.
> 
> With this patch, __pata_platform_probe() interface is changed, and
> pata_of_platform is broken, so a small patch is needed.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Wang Jian <[email-masked]>
> ---

A couple of things. First I would personally prefer (but I'm not the
libata maintainer so it's up to Jeff ...) if you had a separate patch
that adds the 8-bit support to libata core first, and then a patch that
modifies pata_platform.

Then, in order to avoid breaking bisection, I would like you to fixup
pata_of_platform in the same patch that modifies __pata_platform_probe
so there is no breakage in between patches.

Now, regarding the patch itself, if the core grows a 8-bit flag, then
I strongly suspect the core should also grow the 8-bit xfer function
rather than having it hidden in pata_platform.

Cheers,
Ben.