Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/33] My PS3-specific patches for 2.6.31

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:35:28 +1000

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 11:32 +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> The way I think of it is that the "merge window" is the time for
> maintainers to merge with Linus.
> 
> So if you're sending patches to a maintainer you need to have sent all
> your patches to them _before_ then. So the merge window for you is the
> weeks prior to the "merge window".

Right. But a patch generally needs time to be reviewed, spun several
times, etc... so just the week before the merge window is probably too
late :-)

A good rule is that people should start sending things to the list for
review about one kernel release in advance :-)

Now, -rc4 should generally be the wakeup call. It's when I start
frowning even on bug fixes, and putting together a next branch, at least
normally. I can be flexible but people need to try to play nicely too.

Cheers,
Ben.