Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/33] My PS3-specific patches for 2.6.31

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:01:12 +1000

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 11:35 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 11:32 +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > The way I think of it is that the "merge window" is the time for
> > maintainers to merge with Linus.
> > 
> > So if you're sending patches to a maintainer you need to have sent all
> > your patches to them _before_ then. So the merge window for you is the
> > weeks prior to the "merge window".
> 
> Right. But a patch generally needs time to be reviewed, spun several
> times, etc... so just the week before the merge window is probably too
> late :-)

Sure. I mean that's when you should be sending polished code that's
ready to merge. In the same way that the maintainers are sending
polished ready to merge code to Linus during the merge window.

But absolutely, most patches need to be reviewed at least once before
they're ready, which is probably a week at best.

But really people should just be sending patches ASAP, even if they're
not 100% finished, so they get as much exposure as early as possible.

Sitting on patches waiting for the "right time" to send them is the
wrong approach IMHO.

cheers