Subject: Re: [PATCH] Do not inline putprops function

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 00:24:20 +1000

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 22:19 +0530, M. Mohan Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> When I align the dtstruct variable to 8 bytes, I am able to invoke kdump.
> 
> When the line
> 	static unsigned dtstruct[TREEWORDS], *dt;
> changed to 
> 	static unsigned dtstruct[TREEWORDS] __attribute__ ((aligned (8))), *dt;
> 
> kexec-tool works.

Hmm, odd.

Can you check how it's aligned without your change? ie. in the original
binary, is it 4 byte aligned?

When you make the change, is the only thing that changes in the binary
the alignedness of dtstruct, or does it cause other things to move
around?

I don't think an unaligned dt blob should have any effect on the kernel,
ie. it should copy it in fine, but I'd have to look at the code.

cheers