Subject: Re: ARM clock API to PowerPC

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:29:22 +1000

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 17:57 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>  - Device-tree: The idea on top of my mind would be to define a
> clock-map property that has the following format:
> 
> A list of:
> 	- zero terminated string clock ID, padded with zeros
>           to a cell boundary
>  	- a phandle to the clock provider
> 	- a numerical (string ?) ID for that clock within that provider
> 
> The core would thus be able to do a search in that list based on the
> clock-id passed in, or if clk_get(dev, NULL), then, use the first one.

Thinking a bit more about that one, mixing strings and numbers in a
property sucks. What about instead:

 clock-map is a list of phandle, id

 clock-names is an optional list of 0 terminated strings

If there's only one clock, and the ID can be ommited, then the
clock-names property can be ommited completely too. Else, the
entries in clock-names match the entries in clock-map.

It's a bit strange to separate the list into two properties but
I think it will generally suck less than having them mixed, especially
with ASCII representations such as lsprop output.

Cheers,
Ben