Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] PCI-E broken on PPC (regression)

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:59:31 +1100

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 17:50 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > You mean dev->is_pcie?
> > 
> > Why isn't pci_scan_device calling pci_setup_device for you?  That
> > should do the proper PCIe init depending on the device, along with
> > extracting other device info...
> 
> Cc'ing Ben for PPC.  Ben, should PPC use pci_scan_device when probing
> its root busses?  Sounds like it just uses pci_device_add for each one
> it finds instead?
> 
> If you don't actually need scanning (though what about hotplug?) we can
> move the call to device_add instead...

I need to give it more brain cells than I have available today :-) I'll
have a look tomorrow. In some case we build the PCI stuff up from the
firmware device-tree without actually doing any config space scanning,
so the root busses are treated a bit special.

Cheers,
Ben.