Subject: Re: 440SPe/Katmai PCIe problems

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:02:46 +1000

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 12:40 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Hi Stefan !
> 
> (Or somebody from AMCC)
> 
> I noticed we still have this old problem on PCIe where some cards don't
> seem to work. The link trains but they don't respond on config space.
> This is the case for example of that Sunix quad USB card. It seems to be
> related to the kind of TI PCIe <-> PCI bridge on these though.
> 
> Have anybody tracked down the root cause of the problem ? Some say that
> it could be that the bridge doesn't cope with the double reset (uboot
> then kernel). Would it be possible to tell uboot to avoid touching the
> PCIe interface completely so the kernel is the first one to get in ?

Actually... the card works in the Canyonlands using the latest u-boot
from ftp.denx.de (u-boot-nand.bin-2009.11.1), though interestingly
enough, this u-boot fails to detect an XGI Z11 video card that I have,
whichever slot I put it in.

in fact, the kernel itself detects the card and times out trying to get
a link. It works with whatever u-boot I used to have in there (and no
longer do ... oops :-)

Cheers,
Ben.