Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add cmd64x IDE driver to default pmac32 config

From: lawrence rust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:01:07 +0200

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:30 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 08:18 +0200, lawrence rust wrote:
> > 
> > Sure. it would be preferable but unfortunately the PowerMac on-board IDE
> > controller (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC), used for the DVD drive on B/W
> > G3's, doesn't have a PATA equivalent.  So it's pragmatic (until the IDE
> > code is removed) to use the IDE cmd64x driver to minimise kernel code
> > size.
> 
> Sure it does nowadays: drivers/ata/pata_macio.c :-)
> 
> I merged that upstream in december last year, so it didn't make 2.6.32
> which your distro probably uses, but it is in .33 and later.

OK I see that - good news.  However, for the moment I believe that it's
safer to stay with IDE.  It's the smallest of changes but the wholesale
move to libata could well break numerous system install scripts - e.g.
for yaboot.

-- Lawrence