Subject: Re: [PATCH 04/11] powerpc: Simplify update_vsyscall

From: john stultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:33:27 -0700

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:41 +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 05:56:21PM -0700, John Stultz wrote:
> 
> > Currently powerpc's update_vsyscall calls an inline update_gtod.
> > However, both are straightforward, and there are no other users,
> > so this patch merges update_gtod into update_vsyscall.
> > 
> > Compiles, but otherwise untested.
> 
> This and the following two patches will cause interesting conflicts
> with two commits in Ben Herrenschmidt's powerpc.git next branch,
> specifically 8fd63a9e ("powerpc: Rework VDSO gettimeofday to prevent
> time going backwards") and c1aa687d ("powerpc: Clean up obsolete code
> relating to decrementer and timebase") from me.  In fact the first of
> those two commits includes changes equivalent to those in your 5/11
> patch ("powerpc: Cleanup xtime usage"), as far as I can see.

Ahh.. Right.. I guess I should have remembered you were working on those
changes (even though I don't think I saw the final results sent to lkml
or anything).

Sorry about that.

> BTW, BenH's tree is at:
> 
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/benh/powerpc.git

So I've cherry picked the two changes from the ppc tree, applied them
onto linus' git tree and then rebased my changes ontop of them.

The net of the change to the patch set:

Added to the head of the patch queue:
  powerpc: Rework VDSO gettimeofday to prevent time going backwards
  powerpc: Clean up obsolete code relating to decrementer and timebase

Modified to resolve collision:
  powerpc: Simplify update_vsyscall  

Dropped (as earlier patches already made equivalent changes):
  powerpc: Cleanup xtime usage

The full set is in the attached tarball.

Thomas, would you consider re-adding these? Hopefully that will avoid
any -next collisions.

thanks
-john