Subject: Re: Problem with Infiniband adapter on IBM p550

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 16:45:49 +1100

> Ok, so from what I can tell, the driver is unhappy because either BAR 0
> hasn't been assigned a memory resource or the size doesn't match what
> the driver expects.
> 
Ooops, accidentally sent too quickly...

>>From your OF log I see:

reg                     00c10000 00000000 00000000  00000000 00000000 
                        03c10010 00000000 00000000  00000000 00100000 
                        43c10018 00000000 00000000  00000000 00800000 
                        43c10020 00000000 00000000  00000000 08000000 
assigned-addresses      83c10020 00000000 e8000000  00000000 08000000 

Now, I think this is the problem.

The "assigned-addresses" property seems to indicate that the firmware only
assigned BAR 4 and didn't assign anything to the other ones.

I don't know why, but it definitely looks like a firmware bug to me. On those
machines, PCI resource assignment is under hypervisor control and so Linux
cannot re-assign missing resources itself.

I'll see if I can find a FW person to shed some light on this.

Can you provide me (privately maybe) with the FW version on the machine ?

Cheers,
Ben.