Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] ppc: don't override CONFIG_PPC_PSERIES_DEBUG

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:14:23 +1100

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 10:48 -0700, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
> These files undef DEBUG, but I think they were added before the ability
> to control this from Kconfig. 

Perhaps. Some people, *cough*, have a tendency to merge those back in
again from time to time :)

> It's really annoying to only get some of the debug messages!

True, but ..

> Signed-off-by: Nishanth Aravamudan <[email-masked]>
> 
> ---
> Because the lpar and pci_dlpar code is pretty low-level & verbose,
> perhaps it makes sense to add another Kconfig variable for really
> low-level stuff? But it's annoying to have DEBUG *somewhat* effective,
> especially in the EEH area when doing PCI stuff.

I really don't think you want to enable the lpar debug by default. Have
you tried it? It can make for a pretty unusable system, just because of
the console spam.

Also these days there is CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG which is much smarter than
all this, but requires setup at runtime.

cheers