Subject: Re: Can't boot benh/powerpc.git kernel

From: Jim Keniston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:07:44 -0800

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 09:06 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 11:54 -0800, Jim Keniston wrote:
> > I got Ben's linux/kernel/git/benh/powerpc.git source and built it
> > (.config file attached*).  It hangs on boot.  When I boot it with
> > loglevel=8, its last words are:
> 
> First, please try with Linus upstream. The "master" branch in my git
> tree is quite stale, and my next and merge branch are too at the moment
> as I'm still travelling. All our current stuff was merged during the
> last merge window so there's nothing "new" for you to pickup in my tree
> at the moment :-)
> 
> If the problem still occurs, I'll have a look next week.
> 
> Cheers,
> Ben.

I built from Linus's git tree, and that kernel doesn't boot, either.
(It doesn't hang, but rather panics during boot.  I can provide a
console log if you like.)

v2.6.36 and v2.6.37-rc1 boot fine for me.  I'll post my nvram-related
patches against v2.6.37-rc1.

Jim