Subject: Re: powerpc/pci sysdata batch hangs G5 boot

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:10:10 +1100

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 00:25 -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Hugh Dickins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Hi Grant,
> >
> > I've been unable to boot mmotm on the G5 for a few weeks; and now that
> > the problem has reached Linus, I've bisected and it converges on your:
> >
> > commit b5d937de0367d26f65b9af1aef5f2c34c1939be0
> >    powerpc/pci: Make both ppc32 and ppc64 use sysdata for pci_controller
> 
> Hi Hugh,
> 
> Thanks for the testing.  I don't have access to a G5 unfortunately.
> Are you able to capture the good/bad console output and send it to me?
>  A digital photo would be fine if you can't grab the raw text.  Add
> #define DEBUG to the top of arch/powerpc/kernel/pci-common.c above the
> #includes too if you don't mind.
> 
> I'm investigating on my end.  I suspect that I've messed up retrieval
> of the hose pointer.

Hrm, you merged that already ? I would have liked to have a chance to at
least test and review properly...

Oh well, I have G5's here, I'll see if I can find what's wrong tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ben.