Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] kdump: Allow shrinking of kdump region to be overridden

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:33:30 +1100

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 03:10 +0000, WANG Cong wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:22:19 +0530, Mahesh J Salgaonkar wrote:

> >> Okay, but with this patch applied, we will just ignore rtas region,
> >> right?
> > Correct.
> >> Thus, when I echo 0 to free all the 128M crashkernel memory, the final
> >> result will be 32M left, which means crash_size will still show 32M.
> >> This looks odd.
> >> 
> >> How about skipping the 32M as a whole? I mean once the region being
> >> freed has overlap with this rtas region, skip the whole rtas region,
> >> and let crash_size
> >> show 0?
> > The existing code from crash_shrink_memory() function reduces the crash
> > size to 0 when echo'ed 0. I did test this patchset and verified that
> > /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_size show 0 value.
> 
> Oh, ok.
> 
> Acked-by: WANG Cong <[email-masked]>

So Eric, what's the right approach to get that merged ? This is a bug
gating an important delivery for us, and the patch doesn't appear
terribly invasive ? :-)

I can send it to Linus myself if you prefer and give me your Ack.

Cheers,
Ben.