Subject: Re: [regression] 2.6.39-rc[1-3] fail to boot on G5 PowerMac

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:55:02 +1000

> > Finally I tried using g5_defconfig with 2.6.39-rc3.  First boot
> > it did get to /sbin/init, but udev init took much longer than
> > normal and threw errors.  After a warm reboot the same kernel
> > hung as usual, this time before framebuffer init.
> > 
> > 2.6.38 works just fine.
> 
> Hrm, that must be new, I remember testing something around -rc1 on a
> similar machine and it worked fine. I'll see if I can find something
> out.

Ok so on a PowerMac7,3 here (dual 2.5Ghz and mostly same HW or at least
very similar) I can't reproduce your problem with a g5_defconfig.

Your config doesn't work well for me (I don't do modules, I netboot),
but after adding a few things to it, it seems to work fine as well. I
added radeonfb and the radeon DRM (not KMS) and I added eventfd, timerfd
and input events.

So I'm afraid I'm going to need you to bisect that one to find out what
exact change caused the breakage for you.

Cheers,
Ben.