Subject: Re: Where is CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD ?

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:52:07 +1000

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 19:03 +0200, Joachim Förster wrote:
> Note that the default 0x400... is the link address of the zImage
> wrapper 
> rather than the one of THE kernel.
> 
> Currently the link address seems to be hard-coded into
> arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper
> (a shell script). Since long ago I'm wondering why the maintainers
> did 
> that. But I guess there is a reason, because it wasn't that way in
> the 
> old arch/ppc days ;-) ...
> 
> Is configuring the zImage-piggy-back-loader through menuconfig & co
> evil?

Well, not really evil but if you need a special setting for your board,
you add a case for that board in the wrapper script. The idea is that
the boot wrapper can be build outside of the kernel build tree itself.

IE. A distro could (and sometimes do) ship with the standalone boot
directory, possibly the .o's already built, and will "wrap" the zImage
at install time.

Cheers,
Ben.