Subject: Re: [regression] 3.0-rc boot failure -- bisected to cd4ea6ae3982

From: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:58:30 +0200

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 07:40 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Anton Blanchard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >> So with that fix the patch makes the machine happy again?
> >
> > Yes, the machine looks fine with the patches applied. Thanks!
>=20
> Ok, so what's the situation for 3.0 (I'm waiting for some RCU
> resolution now)? Anton's patch may be small, but that's just the tiny
> fixup patch to Peter's much scarier one ;)

Right, so we can either merge my scary patches now and have 3.0 boot on
16+ node machines (and risk breaking something), or delay them until
3.0.1 and have 16+ node machines suffer a little.

The alternative quick hack is simply to disable the node domain, but
that'll be detrimental to regular machines in that the top domain used
to have NODE sd_flags will now have ALL_NODE sd_flags which are much
less aggressive.