Subject: Re: [RFC] [PATCH] powerpc: Add MSR_DE to MSR_KERNEL

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:30:00 +1000

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 11:28 -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> 
> It's not really about CodeWarrior -- it's needed for any external
> debug
> on these chips.
> 
> Those chips are commercial products too, BTW. :-)

As long as it's not code to specifically interact with the CW software
it's ok.

I don't have a special axe to grind against CW (I use to love it under
ol' MacOS, though the new eclipse based one does seem to suck hard...
but then I never got a "licence" to use it past the demo anyway), it's
just that I don't want to start building SW interfaces to a foreign
tool.

BTW. My point of view is that this whole business about MSR:DE is a HW
design bug. There should be -no- (absolutely 0) interaction between the
SW state and the HW debugger for normal operations unless the user of
the debugger explicitly wants to change some state.

Cheers,
Ben.