Subject: Re: [git pull] Please pull powerpc.git merge branch

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 06:10:56 +1000

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 09:00 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So this happens if you have "reverse merges" (ie you've pulled my
> tree, or some other tree I've pulled), and there is no longer a single
> clear common point that you started from. In that case, there is no
> simple diff for the "what has changed since that original point", and
> to get the diff for the merge you actually have to do the merge and
> check the end result. git-request-pull doesn't do that, it just
> assumes it's the simple case of some single common point.

That was more/less my guess. Thanks.

> The fact that you haven't seen it until now just means that you've
> generally done a good job at keeping your powerpc tree "clean" from
> other trees, and containing only your own work. 

Heh, yeah I try to :-) In this specific case, this was a topic branch
from Bjorn which some pre-requisite patches to the generic PCI code that
Gavin did to allow us to get rid of some custom resource allocation
crap, so the "getting rid of" had a dependency on that topic branch.

Unfortunately, Bjorn had also based that branch on top of some larger
cleanup patch so I ended up pulling that as well from him, which tripped
the whole thing.

Cheers,
Ben.