Subject: Re: iMac (PM61) quieter fan?

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:46:44 +1100

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 16:13 +1300, Jeremy Elgin wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my iMac G4 1GHz (PowerMac6,1) and I've
> been looking for any installable option to quiet the fan, nothing I've
> found mentions PowerMac6,1 and the modules installed don't even
> mention different PM models, just therm_windtunnel.ko &
> windfarm_core.ko - this first module won't load (No such device) and
> the second isn't used by anything (yet), do I need to install a .deb
> package that'll talk to this module?
> 
> I know this is not really about development but it's specific to PPC,
> ok? :-)

I don't know much about the fan control on the iMac G4. You can try
sending me a dump of /proc/device-tree (a tarball), it might tell us
more about what's in there.

> Oh, I also have a Dual 2.0 GHz G5 (PowerMac7,3) that I'm keen to get
> Ubuntu running on as a headless server and it'll need fan controls
> too. What I mean to say is, I'm keen to help out with these two pieces
> of hardware should you need testers for them specifically.

This should be fully supported already.

Cheers,
Ben.

> 
> _______________________________________________
> Linuxppc-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/listinfo/linuxppc-dev