Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/8] Nvram-to-pstore

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 15:25:48 +1000

Another question...

Should the core pstore fail to unlink partitions that don't have
an ->erase callback ? IE. Why would you let anyone erase the OFW
common partition for example ? That means that userspace tools
can no longer manipulate it but we certainly don't want to remove
it from the nvram itself.

That leads to a deeper concern. Looking at how efi-pstore works,
it looks like they create a file for each var.

This looks like something valuable we could do for something like
the common partition since typically it's made of name,value pairs.

However, pstore is a flat space, while we have patitions which
themselves can be organized in name,value pairs (some at least)

I wonder if it's time to introduce pstore directories... Or do
we stick to our special tools to interpret/change the name,value
pairs ?

Also do we want to add an ability to resize partitions ? Possibly
based on how much is written to them ?

Cheers,
Ben.