Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/5] powerpc/powernv: Pick up correct number of PEs

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:42:07 +1000

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 12:24 +0800, Gavin Shan wrote:
> at correct ? Don't we get the total number of PEs from a config
> >register on the bridge ? I didn't think the IODA architecture specified
> >the total number of PE of a given implementation...
> >
> 
> For now, the firmware has fixed values (1/128/256), which isn't figured
> out from EEH capability register. That might be something to do later
> for the f/w.

Sure but we can fix the firmware easily, we need per-chip code in there
anyway, while in Linux, we mostly avoid exposing the specifics of a
given implementation of the architecture, we only expose the
architectural version (IODA1 vs IODA2).

> >For example, does Torrent implement 128 ?
>
> 
> I don't know what's "Torrent" :-)

It's one of our IO chips for P7 :-) It has a built-in HFI (sort-of
infiniband thingy) and implements PCIe slots with IODA1. It has *some*
differences to P7IOC however.

> >I'd rather stick to safe here, if the firmware doesn't say, just use
> >one.
> >
> >Now some of the PHB registers are actually architected in IODA afaik, so
> >we could just go look but let's not make a precedent here.
> >
> 
> Ok. Thanks, Ben. Please drop this one :-)

Will do :-)

Cheers,
Ben.