Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] KVM: PPC: Book3S: Add support for hwrng found on some powernv systems

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 08:02:20 +1000

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 13:02 +0300, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> Yes, I alluded to it in my email to Paul and Paolo asked also. How this
> interface is disabled? Also hwrnd is MMIO in a host why guest needs to
> use hypercall instead of emulating the device (in kernel or somewhere
> else?).

Migration will have to be dealt with one way or another, I suppose we
will indeed need a qemu fallback.

As for why hypercall instead of MMIO, well, you'd have to ask the folks
who wrote the PAPR spec :-) It's specified as a hypercall and
implemented as such in pHyp (PowerVM). The existing guests expect it
that way.

It might have to do with the required whitening done by the hypervisor
(H_RANDOM output is supposed to be clean). It also abstracts us from the
underlying HW implementation which could in theory change.
 
>  Another things is that on a host hwrnd is protected from
> direct userspace access by virtue of been a device, but guest code (event
> kernel mode) is userspace as far as hosts security model goes, so by
> implementing this hypercall in a way that directly access hwrnd you
> expose hwrnd to a userspace unconditionally. Why is this a good idea? 

Why would this be a bad idea ?

Ben.

> --
> 			Gleb.
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe kvm-ppc" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html