Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 00/22] EEH Support for VFIO PCI devices on PowerKVM guest

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 17:14:59 +1000

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 08:56 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
> > For the error injection, I guess I have to put the logic token
> management
> > into QEMU and error injection request will be handled by QEMU and
> then
> > routed to host kernel via additional syscall as we did for pSeries.
> 
> Yes, start off without in-kernel XICS so everything simply lives in 
> QEMU. Then add callbacks into the in-kernel XICS to inject these 
> interrupts if we don't have wide enough interfaces already.

It's got nothing to do with XICS ... :-)

But yes, we can route everything via qemu for now, then we'll need
at least one of the call to have a "direct" path but we should probably
strive to even make it real mode if that's possible, it's the one that
Linux will call whenever an MMIO returns all f's to check if the
underlying PE is frozen.

But we can do that as a second stage.

In fact going via VFIO ioctl's does make the whole security and
translation model much simpler initially.

Cheers,
Ben.