Subject: Re: [RFC 01/11] i2c: add quirk structure to describe adapter flaws

From: Yingjoe Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:18:15 +0800

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 18:21 +0100, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> The number of I2C adapters which are not fully I2C compatible is rising,
> sadly. Drivers usually do handle the flaws, still the user receives only
> some errno for a transfer which normally can be expected to work. This
> patch introduces a formal description of flaws. One advantage is that
> the core can check before the actual transfer if the messages could be
> transferred at all. This is done in the next patch. Another advantage is
> that we can pass this information to the user so the restrictions are
> exactly known and further actions can be based on that. This will be
> done later after some stabilization period for this description.

Hi Wolfram,

This can describe the behavior of our current upstream driver[1], which
only support combine write-then-read.

After checking with Xudong & HW guys, it seems our HW can do more. 
On MT8135, it can support at most 2 messages, no matter read or write,
with the limitation that the length of the second message must <=
31bytes.

So this RFC is enough for our driver, but it would be better if we could
also support other case.

Joe.C

[1]:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-November/305468.html