Subject: Re: [PATCH] cxl: Remove useless precision specifiers

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 22:42:11 -0800

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 14:40 +1100, Ian Munsie wrote:
> Excerpts from Rasmus Villemoes's message of 2015-02-21 00:26:22 +1100:
> > C99 says that a precision given as simply '.' with no following digits
> > or * should be interpreted as 0. The kernel's printf implementation,
> > however, treats this case as if the precision was omitted. C99 also
> > says that if both the precision and value are 0, no digits should be
> > printed. Even if the kernel followed C99 to the letter, I don't think
> > that would be particularly useful in these cases, so just remove the
> > precision specifiers.
> 
> Nice catch Rasmus, but I think a better patch would be one that adds the
> missing precision (%.16llx).

The kernel much more commonly uses %016llx

$ git grep "%016llx" | grep -v staging | wc -l
792
$ git grep "%\.16llx" | grep -v staging | wc -l
36