Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 19/21] drivers/of: Support adding sub-tree

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 01:22:10 +1000

On Fri, 2015-05-01 at 07:54 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:

> The difference seems to be whether you allocate space or just point to
> the FDT for various strings/data. Is that right?
> 
> >    * of_fdt_add_subtree() is the introduced API to do the work.
> 
> Have you looked at overlays and if so why do they not work for your purposes?
> 
> Why do you need to do this with the flattened tree?

The basic idea I asked Gavin to implement is that since the FW needs to
provide a bunch of DT updates to Linux at runtime in the form of new
nodes below an existing one, rather than doing it via some new/custom
format, instead, have it send a bit of FDT blob to expand under an
existing node.

As for the details of Gavin implementation, I haven't looked at it in
details yet so there might be issues there, however I don't know what
you mean by "overlays", any pointer ?

Cheers,
Ben.