Subject: Re: [PATCH V2 8/8] powerpc: Add the ability to save VSX without giving it up

From: Michael Neuling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:29:06 +1100

> > Also, put the #ifdef junk as part of the function so that the caller
> > doesn't have to deal with it. 
> > 
> 
> Can do absolutely, however this means that in save_all I can't check if the
> function needs to be called or not. For example, without CONFIG_VSX, MSR_VSX
> won't exist which means we might end up calling save_vsx THEN checking MSR_VSX
> and returning early.

MSR_VSX should exist even without CONFIG_VSX, so you should be able to
do it.

> I'm happy to defer to you and mpe on what's nicer, I would side with avoiding
> the function call at the cost of ugly #ifdefs but I can always see the merits
> of clean code.

I'd prefer the cleanup.  This code has been pretty bad in the past for
being a bit of an #ifdef mess, so it'd be nice to clean it up a bit if
possible.

Mikey