Subject: Re: running qemu for powerpc (32bits) architecture

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 19:23:00 -0500

On Mon, 2016-05-30 at 10:04 +0100, Marwa Hamza wrote:
> hello everyone
> I'm trying to run qemu for powerpc architecture but either
> 1/ i got a black screen with this sentence " QEMU 2.4.0.1 monitor - type
> help for more information"
>                        (QEMU)
> if i run this command ./ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc -M ppce500 -kernel
> ../linux-4.4.1/arch/powerpc/boot/zImage -initrd powerpc/busybox
> -1.21.0/rootfs.img.gz -append "root=/dev/ram rdinit=/bin/sh"

I can't help with the other platforms, but for ppce500, make sure you have
CONFIG_PPC_QEMU_E500 enabled in the kernel (and that it's an e500 build, of
course), pass either uImage or vmlinux (not zImage) to -kernel, and specify
the desired cpu type on the QEMU command line (using -cpu) to match the type
of kernel you built.  I recommend using e500mc rather than older e500 because
then you get standard floating point which your RFS may depend on.

Also note that this target will have a serial port for output, not a display,
so configure QEMU appropriately with -serial for how you want to access that.

If you need more help (especially with other PPC platforms) I suggest the 
[email-masked] mailing list.

-Scott