Subject: [GIT PULL 00/22] perf/core improvements and fixes

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 23:36:59 -0300

Hi Ingo,

	Please consider pulling,

- Arnaldo

Build and test stats at the end of the message.

The following changes since commit 41aad2a6d4fcdda8d73c9739daf7a9f3f49499d6:

  Merge tag 'perf-core-for-mingo-20160929' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/linux into perf/core (2016-09-29 19:09:58 +0200)

are available in the git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/acme/linux.git tags/perf-core-for-mingo-20161003

for you to fetch changes up to b42c7369e3f451e22c2b0be5d193955498d37546:

  perf pmu-events: Add Skylake frontend MSR support (2016-10-03 21:52:01 -0300)

----------------------------------------------------------------
perf/core improvements and fixes:

- Allow vendors to provide JSON files describing PMU events, that then
  get parsed to generate C tables that are linked against perf, allowing
  the use of the names in their documentations, such as:

  # perf list l1d

  List of pre-defined events (to be used in -e):

  Cache:
    l1d.replacement
         [L1D data line replacements]
    l1d_pend_miss.fb_full
         [Cycles a demand request was blocked due to Fill Buffers inavailability]
    l1d_pend_miss.pending
         [L1D miss oustandings duration in cycles]
    l1d_pend_miss.pending_cycles
         [Cycles with L1D load Misses outstanding]
    l1d_pend_miss.pending_cycles_any
         [Cycles with L1D load Misses outstanding from any thread on physical core]
    l2_trans.l1d_wb
         [L1D writebacks that access L2 cache]

  Pipeline:
    cycle_activity.cycles_l1d_miss
         [Cycles while L1 cache miss demand load is outstanding]
    cycle_activity.cycles_l1d_pending
         [Cycles while L1 cache miss demand load is outstanding]
    cycle_activity.stalls_l1d_miss
         [Execution stalls while L1 cache miss demand load is outstanding]
    cycle_activity.stalls_l1d_pending
         [Execution stalls while L1 cache miss demand load is outstanding]

  The above example was done on a Broadwell based ThinkPad t450s after
  downloading and installing such JSON files which will be added to the
  tools/perf/pmu-events/ directory in a subsequent patchkit.

  Now one can use those names with -e/--event in all 'perf tools'.
  (Andi Kleen, Sukadev Bhattiprolu)

- Add a missing pointer dereference in 'perf probe' (Colin Ian King)

- Add support for building host programs to be used in generating files
  to be used in the build process, such as fixdep and jevents, fixing
  the usage of these features in a cross compilation setup (Jiri Olsa)

Signed-off-by: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------
Andi Kleen (12):
      perf tools: Add jsmn `jasmine' JSON parser
      perf jevents: Program to convert JSON file
      perf tools: Support CPU id matching for x86 v2
      perf jevents: Handle header line in mapfile
      perf pmu: Support alias descriptions
      perf tools: Query terminal width and use in perf list
      perf list: Add a --no-desc flag
      perf pmu: Add override support for event list CPUID
      perf list jevents: Add support for event list topics
      perf tools: Make alias matching case-insensitive
      perf pmu-events: Fix fixed counters on Intel
      perf pmu-events: Add Skylake frontend MSR support

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (1):
      perf tools: Experiment with cppcheck

Colin Ian King (1):
      perf probe: Check if *ptr2 is zero and not ptr2

Jiri Olsa (2):
      tools build: Add support for host programs format
      tools build: Make fixdep a hostprog

Sukadev Bhattiprolu (6):
      perf pmu: Use pmu_events table to create aliases
      perf powerpc: Support CPU ID matching for Powerpc
      perf jevents: Add support for long descriptions
      perf list: Support long jevents descriptions
      perf tools: Add README for info on parsing JSON/map files
      perf tools: Allow period= in perf stat CPU event descriptions.

 tools/build/Build                      |   2 +
 tools/build/Build.include              |   5 +
 tools/build/Makefile                   |   8 +-
 tools/build/Makefile.build             |  19 +-
 tools/build/Makefile.include           |   4 -
 tools/lib/subcmd/pager.c               |  16 +
 tools/lib/subcmd/pager.h               |   1 +
 tools/perf/Documentation/perf-list.txt |  12 +-
 tools/perf/Makefile.perf               |  34 +-
 tools/perf/arch/powerpc/util/header.c  |  11 +
 tools/perf/arch/x86/util/header.c      |  24 +-
 tools/perf/builtin-list.c              |  20 +-
 tools/perf/pmu-events/Build            |  13 +
 tools/perf/pmu-events/README           | 147 ++++++
 tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.c        | 812 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.h        |  18 +
 tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.c           | 313 +++++++++++++
 tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.h           |  67 +++
 tools/perf/pmu-events/json.c           | 162 +++++++
 tools/perf/pmu-events/json.h           |  38 ++
 tools/perf/pmu-events/pmu-events.h     |  37 ++
 tools/perf/util/evlist.c               |  12 +-
 tools/perf/util/evsel.c                |   3 +-
 tools/perf/util/header.h               |   1 +
 tools/perf/util/machine.c              |   6 +-
 tools/perf/util/parse-events.c         |   8 +-
 tools/perf/util/parse-events.h         |   3 +-
 tools/perf/util/pmu.c                  | 176 ++++++-
 tools/perf/util/pmu.h                  |   6 +-
 tools/perf/util/probe-event.c          |   2 +-
 tools/perf/util/strbuf.h               |   3 +-
 tools/perf/util/thread.c               |   9 +-
 32 files changed, 1926 insertions(+), 66 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/Build
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/README
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.c
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jevents.h
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.c
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/jsmn.h
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/json.c
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/json.h
 create mode 100644 tools/perf/pmu-events/pmu-events.h

  # time dm
   1 alpine:3.4: Ok
   2 android-ndk:r12b-arm: Ok
   3 archlinux:latest: Ok
   4 centos:5: Ok
   5 centos:6: Ok
   6 centos:7: Ok
   7 debian:7: Ok
   8 debian:8: Ok
   9 debian:experimental: Ok
  10 fedora:20: Ok
  11 fedora:21: Ok
  12 fedora:22: Ok
  13 fedora:23: Ok
  14 fedora:24: Ok
  15 fedora:24-x-ARC-uClibc: Ok
  16 fedora:rawhide: Ok
  17 mageia:5: Ok
  18 opensuse:13.2: Ok
  19 opensuse:42.1: Ok
  20 opensuse:tumbleweed: Ok
  21 ubuntu:12.04.5: Ok
  22 ubuntu:14.04: Ok
  23 ubuntu:14.04.4: Ok
  24 ubuntu:15.10: Ok
  25 ubuntu:16.04: Ok
  26 ubuntu:16.04-x-arm: Ok
  27 ubuntu:16.04-x-arm64: Ok
  28 ubuntu:16.04-x-powerpc: Ok
  29 ubuntu:16.04-x-powerpc64: Ok
  30 ubuntu:16.04-x-powerpc64el: Ok
  31 ubuntu:16.04-x-s390: Ok
  32 ubuntu:16.10: Ok

  real	33m23.855s
  user	0m2.128s
  sys	0m2.305s
  #

  # perf test
   1: vmlinux symtab matches kallsyms                          : Ok
   2: detect openat syscall event                              : Ok
   3: detect openat syscall event on all cpus                  : Ok
   4: read samples using the mmap interface                    : Ok
   5: parse events tests                                       : Ok
   6: Validate PERF_RECORD_* events & perf_sample fields       : Ok
   7: Test perf pmu format parsing                             : Ok
   8: Test dso data read                                       : Ok
   9: Test dso data cache                                      : Ok
  10: Test dso data reopen                                     : Ok
  11: roundtrip evsel->name check                              : Ok
  12: Check parsing of sched tracepoints fields                : Ok
  13: Generate and check syscalls:sys_enter_openat event fields: Ok
  14: struct perf_event_attr setup                             : Ok
  15: Test matching and linking multiple hists                 : Ok
  16: Try 'import perf' in python, checking link problems      : Ok
  17: Test breakpoint overflow signal handler                  : Ok
  18: Test breakpoint overflow sampling                        : Ok
  19: Test number of exit event of a simple workload           : Ok
  20: Test software clock events have valid period values      : Ok
  21: Test object code reading                                 : Ok
  22: Test sample parsing                                      : Ok
  23: Test using a dummy software event to keep tracking       : Ok
  24: Test parsing with no sample_id_all bit set               : Ok
  25: Test filtering hist entries                              : Ok
  26: Test mmap thread lookup                                  : Ok
  27: Test thread mg sharing                                   : Ok
  28: Test output sorting of hist entries                      : Ok
  29: Test cumulation of child hist entries                    : Ok
  30: Test tracking with sched_switch                          : Ok
  31: Filter fds with revents mask in a fdarray                : Ok
  32: Add fd to a fdarray, making it autogrow                  : Ok
  33: Test kmod_path__parse function                           : Ok
  34: Test thread map                                          : Ok
  35: Test LLVM searching and compiling                        :
  35.1: Basic BPF llvm compiling test                          : Ok
  35.2: Test kbuild searching                                  : Ok
  35.3: Compile source for BPF prologue generation test        : Ok
  35.4: Compile source for BPF relocation test                 : Ok
  36: Test topology in session                                 : Ok
  37: Test BPF filter                                          :
  37.1: Test basic BPF filtering                               : Ok
  37.2: Test BPF prologue generation                           : Ok
  37.3: Test BPF relocation checker                            : Ok
  38: Test thread map synthesize                               : Ok
  39: Test cpu map synthesize                                  : Ok
  40: Test stat config synthesize                              : Ok
  41: Test stat synthesize                                     : Ok
  42: Test stat round synthesize                               : Ok
  43: Test attr update synthesize                              : Ok
  44: Test events times                                        : Ok
  45: Test backward reading from ring buffer                   : Ok
  46: Test cpu map print                                       : Ok
  47: Test SDT event probing                                   : Ok
  48: Test is_printable_array function                         : Ok
  49: Test bitmap print                                        : Ok
  50: x86 rdpmc test                                           : Ok
  51: Test converting perf time to TSC                         : Ok
  52: Test dwarf unwind                                        : Ok
  53: Test x86 instruction decoder - new instructions          : Ok
  54: Test intel cqm nmi context read                          : Skip
  # 

  $ make -C tools/perf build-test
  make: Entering directory '/home/acme/git/linux/tools/perf'
                      - tarpkg: ./tests/perf-targz-src-pkg .
             make_no_libperl_O: make NO_LIBPERL=1
                make_no_newt_O: make NO_NEWT=1
               make_no_slang_O: make NO_SLANG=1
             make_no_libnuma_O: make NO_LIBNUMA=1
        make_with_babeltrace_O: make LIBBABELTRACE=1
   make_install_prefix_slash_O: make install prefix=/tmp/krava/
              make_no_libbpf_O: make NO_LIBBPF=1
            make_no_demangle_O: make NO_DEMANGLE=1
            make_install_bin_O: make install-bin
                make_install_O: make install
           make_no_libbionic_O: make NO_LIBBIONIC=1
           make_no_libunwind_O: make NO_LIBUNWIND=1
            make_no_libaudit_O: make NO_LIBAUDIT=1
           make_no_libpython_O: make NO_LIBPYTHON=1
                   make_tags_O: make tags
                 make_perf_o_O: make perf.o
                 make_static_O: make LDFLAGS=-static
              make_clean_all_O: make clean all
         make_install_prefix_O: make install prefix=/tmp/krava
                   make_help_O: make help
             make_util_map_o_O: make util/map.o
                  make_no_ui_O: make NO_NEWT=1 NO_SLANG=1 NO_GTK2=1
  make_no_libdw_dwarf_unwind_O: make NO_LIBDW_DWARF_UNWIND=1
                make_minimal_O: make NO_LIBPERL=1 NO_LIBPYTHON=1 NO_NEWT=1 NO_GTK2=1 NO_DEMANGLE=1 NO_LIBELF=1 NO_LIBUNWIND=1 NO_BACKTRACE=1 NO_LIBNUMA=1 NO_LIBAUDIT=1 NO_LIBBIONIC=1 NO_LIBDW_DWARF_UNWIND=1 NO_AUXTRACE=1 NO_LIBBPF=1 NO_LIBCRYPTO=1 NO_SDT=1
           make_no_backtrace_O: make NO_BACKTRACE=1
                  make_debug_O: make DEBUG=1
              make_no_libelf_O: make NO_LIBELF=1
             make_no_scripts_O: make NO_LIBPYTHON=1 NO_LIBPERL=1
            make_no_auxtrace_O: make NO_AUXTRACE=1
                    make_doc_O: make doc
       make_util_pmu_bison_o_O: make util/pmu-bison.o
                make_no_gtk2_O: make NO_GTK2=1
  OK