Subject: Re: xf 4.0.1 + ati driver with rage II/rage pro

From: R Shapiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:55:55 -0400

Michael Schmitz writes:
 > > > (--) ATI(0): VideoRam: 1 kByte (EDO)
 > >
 > > That's quite little VRAM :)
 >
 > Yep, that can't really be the 2048 bug anymore.

Fwiw the probed VideoRam on my rev. b beige G3 is also some
ridiculously small number (though not as small as this) yet it runs
the ati driver without any problems.  That one has a single monitor
and Rage Pro video.

 > But that's also quite a lot of mach64 cards. Are there really two GI's in
 > the machine?

It's a three-headed machine: two Rage Pro cards plus the onboard Rage
II.  If I set all three Devices to use fbdev, X happily drives all
three displays (in xinerama, even).  It's only the ati driver that
causes the trouble.

 > You will have to pass multipe atyfb= kernel parameters to make the kernel
 > initialize one framebuffer device for each.

Right now my kernel args are

 video=atyfb:vmode:20,cmode:8

I don't know the syntax for specifying multiple atyfb's.

I'm using BootX to boot.  I tried miBoot but I couldn't get X 4.0.1 to
run at all that way, even with the fbdev driver.  I don't think quik
booting works on this machine, so BootX seems to be the only option.

 > Also helpful: a dump of the OF device tree.

Remind me how to get that and I'll try to generate one.

--
[email-masked]

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/