Subject: [RFC v3 22/23] Documentation: PowerPC specific updates to memory protection keys

From: Ram Pai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:39:38 -0700

Add documentation updates that capture PowerPC specific changes.

Signed-off-by: Ram Pai <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/vm/protection-keys.txt | 65 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 45 insertions(+), 20 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/vm/protection-keys.txt b/Documentation/vm/protection-keys.txt
index b643045..965ad75 100644
--- a/Documentation/vm/protection-keys.txt
+++ b/Documentation/vm/protection-keys.txt
@@ -1,21 +1,46 @@
-Memory Protection Keys for Userspace (PKU aka PKEYs) is a CPU feature
-which will be found on future Intel CPUs.
+Memory Protection Keys for Userspace (PKU aka PKEYs) is a CPU feature found in
+new generation of intel CPUs and on PowerPC 7 and higher CPUs.
 
 Memory Protection Keys provides a mechanism for enforcing page-based
-protections, but without requiring modification of the page tables
-when an application changes protection domains.  It works by
-dedicating 4 previously ignored bits in each page table entry to a
-"protection key", giving 16 possible keys.
-
-There is also a new user-accessible register (PKRU) with two separate
-bits (Access Disable and Write Disable) for each key.  Being a CPU
-register, PKRU is inherently thread-local, potentially giving each
-thread a different set of protections from every other thread.
-
-There are two new instructions (RDPKRU/WRPKRU) for reading and writing
-to the new register.  The feature is only available in 64-bit mode,
-even though there is theoretically space in the PAE PTEs.  These
-permissions are enforced on data access only and have no effect on
+protections, but without requiring modification of the page tables when an
+application changes protection domains.
+
+
+On Intel:
+
+	It works by dedicating 4 previously ignored bits in each page table
+	entry to a "protection key", giving 16 possible keys.
+
+	There is also a new user-accessible register (PKRU) with two separate
+	bits (Access Disable and Write Disable) for each key.  Being a CPU
+	register, PKRU is inherently thread-local, potentially giving each
+	thread a different set of protections from every other thread.
+
+	There are two new instructions (RDPKRU/WRPKRU) for reading and writing
+	to the new register.  The feature is only available in 64-bit mode,
+	even though there is theoretically space in the PAE PTEs.  These
+	permissions are enforced on data access only and have no effect on
+	instruction fetches.
+
+
+On PowerPC:
+
+	It works by dedicating 5 page table entry bits to a "protection key",
+	giving 32 possible keys.
+
+	There  is  a  user-accessible  register (AMR)  with  two separate bits;
+	Access Disable and  Write  Disable, for  each key.  Being  a  CPU
+	register,  AMR  is inherently  thread-local,  potentially  giving  each
+	thread a different set of protections from every other thread.  NOTE:
+	Disabling read permission does not disable write and vice-versa.
+
+	The feature is available on 64-bit HPTE mode only.
+	'mtspr 0xd, mem' reads the AMR register
+	'mfspr mem, 0xd' writes into the AMR register.
+
+
+
+Permissions are enforced on data access only and have no effect on
 instruction fetches.
 
 =========================== Syscalls ===========================
@@ -28,9 +53,9 @@ There are 3 system calls which directly interact with pkeys:
 			  unsigned long prot, int pkey);
 
 Before a pkey can be used, it must first be allocated with
-pkey_alloc().  An application calls the WRPKRU instruction
+pkey_alloc().  An application calls the WRPKRU/AMR instruction
 directly in order to change access permissions to memory covered
-with a key.  In this example WRPKRU is wrapped by a C function
+with a key.  In this example WRPKRU/AMR is wrapped by a C function
 called pkey_set().
 
 	int real_prot = PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE;
@@ -52,11 +77,11 @@ is no longer in use:
 	munmap(ptr, PAGE_SIZE);
 	pkey_free(pkey);
 
-(Note: pkey_set() is a wrapper for the RDPKRU and WRPKRU instructions.
+(Note: pkey_set() is a wrapper for the RDPKRU,WRPKRU or AMR instructions.
  An example implementation can be found in
  tools/testing/selftests/x86/protection_keys.c)
 
-=========================== Behavior ===========================
+=========================== Behavior =================================
 
 The kernel attempts to make protection keys consistent with the
 behavior of a plain mprotect().  For instance if you do this:
-- 
1.8.3.1