Subject: Re: [PATCH script] hwmon: Use octal not symbolic permissions

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 04:48:05 -0700

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 03:28 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 03/27/2018 12:35 AM, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 23:33 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > Since the hwmon subsystem has been labeled as both "obsolete" and "obscure",
> > 
> > fyi: It's marked Maintained in MAINTAINERS
> > 
> 
> I did not say that it was not maintained, and I am aware of the information
> in the MAINTAINERS file, thanks.

As am I.

I do agree that hwmon is obscure.  Almost everything about
anything is obscure to those that don't fully understand it.

I am unaware though of any use of "obsolete" in drivers/hwmon/
or in Documentation/ about hwmon or the wiki/

In what sense do you mean hwmon is obsolete?

And the cocci script?

Anything later than:
https://systeme.lip6.fr/pipermail/cocci/2016-December/003887.html
https://github.com/groeck/coccinelle-patches/tree/master/hwmon
?

btw: I think the perl scripts I posted for DEV_ATTR_<RW|RO|WO>
transforms are simpler and less prone to tool versioning
issues.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/22/844

It'd be fairly simple to add SENSOR_ support.