Subject: Patch "powerpc/pseries: Fix clearing of security feature flags" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 15:49:53 +0200

This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

    powerpc/pseries: Fix clearing of security feature flags

to the 4.14-stable tree which can be found at:
    http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
     powerpc-pseries-fix-clearing-of-security-feature-flags.patch
and it can be found in the queue-4.14 subdirectory.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <[email-masked]> know about it.

>>From foo@baz Sun May 27 15:47:18 CEST 2018
From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 14:27:45 +1000
Subject: powerpc/pseries: Fix clearing of security feature flags
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

From: Mauricio Faria de Oliveira <[email-masked]>

commit 0f9bdfe3c77091e8704d2e510eb7c2c2c6cde524 upstream.

The H_CPU_BEHAV_* flags should be checked for in the 'behaviour' field
of 'struct h_cpu_char_result' -- 'character' is for H_CPU_CHAR_*
flags.

Found by playing around with QEMU's implementation of the hypercall:

  H_CPU_CHAR=0xf000000000000000
  H_CPU_BEHAV=0x0000000000000000

  This clears H_CPU_BEHAV_FAVOUR_SECURITY and H_CPU_BEHAV_L1D_FLUSH_PR
  so pseries_setup_rfi_flush() disables 'rfi_flush'; and it also
  clears H_CPU_CHAR_L1D_THREAD_PRIV flag. So there is no RFI flush
  mitigation at all for cpu_show_meltdown() to report; but currently
  it does:

  Original kernel:

    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown
    Mitigation: RFI Flush

  Patched kernel:

    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown
    Not affected

  H_CPU_CHAR=0x0000000000000000
  H_CPU_BEHAV=0xf000000000000000

  This sets H_CPU_BEHAV_BNDS_CHK_SPEC_BAR so cpu_show_spectre_v1() should
  report vulnerable; but currently it doesn't:

  Original kernel:

    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1
    Not affected

  Patched kernel:

    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1
    Vulnerable

Brown-paper-bag-by: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Fixes: f636c14790ea ("powerpc/pseries: Set or clear security feature flags")
Signed-off-by: Mauricio Faria de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/setup.c |    6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

--- a/arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/setup.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/setup.c
@@ -484,13 +484,13 @@ static void init_cpu_char_feature_flags(
 	 * The features below are enabled by default, so we instead look to see
 	 * if firmware has *disabled* them, and clear them if so.
 	 */
-	if (!(result->character & H_CPU_BEHAV_FAVOUR_SECURITY))
+	if (!(result->behaviour & H_CPU_BEHAV_FAVOUR_SECURITY))
 		security_ftr_clear(SEC_FTR_FAVOUR_SECURITY);
 
-	if (!(result->character & H_CPU_BEHAV_L1D_FLUSH_PR))
+	if (!(result->behaviour & H_CPU_BEHAV_L1D_FLUSH_PR))
 		security_ftr_clear(SEC_FTR_L1D_FLUSH_PR);
 
-	if (!(result->character & H_CPU_BEHAV_BNDS_CHK_SPEC_BAR))
+	if (!(result->behaviour & H_CPU_BEHAV_BNDS_CHK_SPEC_BAR))
 		security_ftr_clear(SEC_FTR_BNDS_CHK_SPEC_BAR);
 }

Patches currently in stable-queue which might be from [email-masked] are

queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-clear-pcr-on-boot.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-rfi-flush-differentiate-enabled-and-patched-flush-types.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-fix-section-mismatch-warnings-from-setup_rfi_flush.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-pseries-fix-clearing-of-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-powernv-set-or-clear-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-move-cpu_show_meltdown.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-rfi-flush-call-setup_rfi_flush-after-lpm-migration.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-pseries-set-or-clear-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-rfi-flush-make-it-possible-to-call-setup_rfi_flush-again.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-move-default-security-feature-flags.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-powernv-use-the-security-flags-in-pnv_setup_rfi_flush.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-add-security-feature-flags-for-spectre-meltdown.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-pseries-use-the-security-flags-in-pseries_setup_rfi_flush.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-enhance-the-information-in-cpu_show_meltdown.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-improve-rfi-l1-d-cache-flush-fallback.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-rfi-flush-always-enable-fallback-flush-on-pseries.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-rfi-flush-move-the-logic-to-avoid-a-redo-into-the-debugfs-code.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-pseries-restore-default-security-feature-flags-on-setup.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-pseries-add-new-h_get_cpu_characteristics-flags.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-add-support-for-a-store-forwarding-barrier-at-kernel-entry-exit.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-wire-up-cpu_show_spectre_v1.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-powernv-support-firmware-disable-of-rfi-flush.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-pseries-support-firmware-disable-of-rfi-flush.patch
queue-4.14/powerpc-64s-wire-up-cpu_show_spectre_v2.patch