Subject: [Virtex4] kernel2.6 or distribution

From: "Desroches L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:48:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Sorry for my English, I am a French student. For my internship, I have to
implement Linux on a Virtex4.

I know a few things about the Virtex4 because I am specialized in digital
electronic (VHDL). I have to choose a solution for the Linux to implement.
At this stage, I have some problems to determine the best solution probably
because things are not clear for me whereas I have read a book about Linux
embedded and seen a lot of websites.

I have seen several distributions (maybe my vocable is false) from
MontaVista, LynuxWorks and others. I have seen also kernel2.6 for Virtex4
(http://git.xilinx.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6-xlnx.git;a=summary). I
would like to understand the difference between these two things.

If I have understood MontaVista for example offers a solution with a C
library and drivers, isn't it ? So is it a better solution than kernel2.6 ?

I prefer to start with the kernel given by xilinx, it is an internship so
the aim is to learn the more I can but I have to convince my tutor that it
is a better solution than MontaVista, BlueCat or µC/OSII. Do you have some
arguments ?

Thanks for your help

Best Regards

---

Desroches Ludovic
ESIEE engineer : http://www.esiee.fr

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/-Virtex4--kernel2.6-or-distribution-tp15291528p15291528.html
Sent from the linuxppc-embedded mailing list archive at Nabble.com.