Subject: [PATCH v2 0/6] memblock: simplify several early memory allocation

From: Mike Rapoport <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 17:47:09 +0200

Hi,

These patches simplify some of the early memory allocations by replacing
usage of older memblock APIs with newer and shinier ones.

Quite a few places in the arch/ code allocated memory using a memblock API
that returns a physical address of the allocated area, then converted this
physical address to a virtual one and then used memset(0) to clear the
allocated range.

More recent memblock APIs do all the three steps in one call and their
usage simplifies the code.

It's important to note that regardless of API used, the core allocation is
nearly identical for any set of memblock allocators: first it tries to find
a free memory with all the constraints specified by the caller and then
falls back to the allocation with some or all constraints disabled.

The first three patches perform the conversion of call sites that have
exact requirements for the node and the possible memory range.

The fourth patch is a bit one-off as it simplifies openrisc's
implementation of pte_alloc_one_kernel(), and not only the memblock usage.

The fifth patch takes care of simpler cases when the allocation can be
satisfied with a simple call to memblock_alloc().

The sixth patch removes one-liner wrappers for memblock_alloc on arm and
unicore32, as suggested by Christoph.

v2:
* added Ack from Stafford Horne for openrisc changes
* entirely drop early_alloc wrappers on arm and unicore32, as per Christoph
Hellwig

Mike Rapoport (6):
  powerpc: prefer memblock APIs returning virtual address
  microblaze: prefer memblock API returning virtual address
  sh: prefer memblock APIs returning virtual address
  openrisc: simplify pte_alloc_one_kernel()
  arch: simplify several early memory allocations
  arm, unicore32: remove early_alloc*() wrappers

 arch/arm/mm/mmu.c                      | 13 +++----------
 arch/c6x/mm/dma-coherent.c             |  9 ++-------
 arch/microblaze/mm/init.c              |  5 +++--
 arch/nds32/mm/init.c                   | 12 ++++--------
 arch/openrisc/mm/ioremap.c             | 11 ++++-------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/paca.c             | 14 ++++++--------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/setup-common.c     |  4 ++--
 arch/powerpc/kernel/setup_64.c         | 21 ++++++++++-----------
 arch/powerpc/mm/hash_utils_64.c        |  6 +++---
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-book3e.c       |  8 ++------
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-book3s64.c     |  5 +----
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable-radix.c        | 24 +++++++++---------------
 arch/powerpc/mm/pgtable_32.c           |  4 +---
 arch/powerpc/mm/ppc_mmu_32.c           |  3 +--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pasemi/iommu.c  |  5 +++--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/opal.c  |  3 +--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/setup.c | 11 +++++++----
 arch/powerpc/sysdev/dart_iommu.c       |  5 +++--
 arch/sh/mm/init.c                      | 18 +++++-------------
 arch/sh/mm/numa.c                      |  5 ++---
 arch/sparc/kernel/prom_64.c            |  7 ++-----
 arch/sparc/mm/init_64.c                |  9 +++------
 arch/unicore32/mm/mmu.c                | 14 ++++----------
 23 files changed, 81 insertions(+), 135 deletions(-)